Saturday 4 May 2013

Falmouth Coastline May 2013

Castle Beach to Pendennis Castle

 

With the recent good weather, I've spent a lot more time out in the the great outdoors. Today (Saturday) was no different, and as usual I made my way down to Castle Beach. 
There are several beaches nearby to where I live in Falmouth, Gyllyngvase (Gylly) and Swanpool are the closest and most popular due to them being sandy and easy to get to. Maenporth is another sandy beach, but is a two mile walk along a rugged coastal path. 
Unlike the others, Castle Beach is a much more "wild" beach, and is rocky rather than sandy. I personally prefer rocky beaches, due to there usually being less people and more wildlife on them!

I set out for Castle Beach around 14:00, with the intention to sit on the rocks and do nothing all day. This however, didn't last long. 

Castle Beach - A proper beach!

 Once I'd got to the beach and settled down on a handy ledge, I noticed a pair of Cormorants sunning themselves on a rock in the shallows. I've seen Cormorants before from a distance, so I was interested to see them a little closer. Having grabbed my trusty camera, I moved a forward to try and photograph them. I got a few dodgy shots, when suddenly they both decided to leap into the sea and do a little hunting. I've never seen them hunt before either, so it was interesting to see them in action. They would bob along the surface for a while, and stick their heads below the surface, presumabley to find prey, before diving down after it. 

Not great, but the best I could do!
 Having watched the Cormorants for a while I decided that I was actually going to do something with my day, rather than just sit on a rock.
Sea Anemone
I gathered up my bag, and set off along the beach, checking out the rock pools along the way. Rock pools are fascinating little environments, home to a wide array of creatures ranging from crabs to Sea Anemones to small fish. Castle Beach's rock pools didn't dissapoint, and I saw plenty of wildlife as I made my way across towards the steps up to Pendennis Castle. 


Once I'd made my way up the steps I was at Pendennis Point, a large outcrop of jaggedy coastline, with Pendennis Castle built on top. The surrounding land is lush and wooded, and there is a large car park and public pathways. I took one of these pathways down towards to rocks, and soon found myself on a huge area of rock pools, intersected with channels of water. 

The quantity of life here was huge too, and I saw several fish lurking in the larger pools, as well as the usual Anemones and barnacles. Out here too, there were goups of mussels living in large clumps. Further along the rocks, I was right at the tide's edge, faced with open water. 
I turned back towards the coastline, and continued along it, passed the castle. Along the way, I stopped to look in each of the rock pools, when a sudden movement caught my eye, and I saw two small birds picking their way through the water. 
I'd not planned on bird watching today (dressing in a bright red t shirt certainly didn't help!) but I ended up spending quite a while watching these two little birds foraging in the shallows. I didn't recognise the species, and made a mental note to find out what they were later. 

After some research, I belive the two little waders were Dunlin. These two certainly weren't afraid of me, and allowed me to get quite close to them. To get closer to them however, I ended up sliding down the rocks - most undignified!


Dunlin
I continued on, following the rocky shoreline, and found it to be pretty much empty as I carried on. The rocks made the walk eventful, and I really did have to pay attention as to where I was putting my feet. Some rocks were slippy, others jagged, and some required a little climbing!

Carrying on I found a few isolated sandy beaches, which were rather picturesque and very tranquil due to the lack of people! Further on, I spotted more birds. A pair of Oystercatchers flew overhead, but my main attentions were given to another species I was unfamiliar with. These two birds looked similar to the Dunlin, but were smaller, and had shorter beaks. These were more skittish than the Dunlin, so I had to be quick to photograph them for identification later. 
According to the RSPB website, it seems these birds are called "Turnstones" a name given to them  because they must turn stones with their beaks when foraging for crustaceans and other aquatic prey. 



I carried on along the coastline, until it promptly stopped and I was confronted with a large gate saying "Private property. No Public Right of Way" which was my cue to turn around and make my way back.

All in all, a succesful day's explore and I also took some pictures that I'm pretty happy with. Two new bird species seen too, so a very good day!



No comments:

Post a Comment