Saturday 4 January 2014

Um....happy new year?


2014

 

So this is my first blog post since September. Things have happened since then, but they aren't really that interesting to my readers (people read this, don't they?), so I'll just skim over them quickly. 
I play in a big band now (or will do again when I'm home), I saw one of my good friends back in December for the first time in 4 years, and Christmas happened. 

Now it's January, and I'm heading back to Cornwall soon, provided it's not all underwater. So far, 2014 is looking like quite a good year, provided everything goes well. I finish my degree in June, and then have to face the big scary world! Now, this is a pretty scary thought, and until very recently I was pretty nervous about what I actually want to do with my life, but after some serious thinking, I'll hopefully steer myself in the direction I want to go! More on that another time...

January is already shaping up nicely, as I've got a new student house to move into, a few bits of uni work to hand in, a trip up to London to see Mogwai (and visit the zoo..) and my 21st birthday!

Before all that excitement, there is one sad bit of news. As I'm sure anyone who reads this knows, I visit the Cotswold Wildlife Park fairly regularly, and know some of the animals quite well. Sadly, on the 2nd of January the park made the difficult decision to euthanise their 19 year old Asiatic Lioness, Akela. 19 is an incredible age for a lion to reach, and as the mother of 4 cubs, Akela certainly did her bit for lion conservation, and lived a good long life. 
This leaves her companion Rana alone for the moment, but there should be another young female on her way to the park to kick start a bredding programme again. 
Akela was a lovely lion, and my thoughts and sympathies are with both Rana, and the excellent keeping staff at the park. 

Akela, 6/10/19 - 2/01/14




  And with that, this update is finished! I'm aiming to be more regular with my posts, so watch this space.....

No comments:

Post a Comment